Friday, December 5, 2008

What Are You Saving Them For?

A few years ago an anonymous anecdote circulated through email Inboxes as people forwarded it to everyone in their address book. It told a story about a man and a woman going through items in a closet. The woman selected a gorgeous dress and asked "What about this one?" The man sighed. "She's never worn that. She was saving it for a special occasion." Then they deliver the dress to a mortuary so the man's wife can be dressed in it for her funeral.

This story really struck me and has stayed in my mind for years because I am guilty of hoarding and saving lots of things: scrapbook supplies, fancy dishes, and, of course, candles. But I am slowly coming around on the issue of saving things for some elusive "special occasion." If something is too good to be used for its intended purpose, there is really no reason to have it. It only takes up space and it is ultimately a waste of the money that was spent on it. And when all is said and done, you know, you can't take the stuff with you. Enjoy the things you like in life by actually using them while you have the chance.

Recently I've begun a massive organizing effort in my home. I now have several labeled boxes of beautifully scented candles that I have collected over the years. Many of them have never been lit. Until now. Since starting my candle business, I have begun using candles in my home on a daily basis. In the process I am depleting my stash of candles purchased at other places and I am gradually becoming familiar with the products in the line of candles that I sell. And I am having a blast doing it!

Admittedly, the saving impulse isn't quieted overnight. I have a decadent Chocolate Milk scented candle on the landing of my stairway that smells wonderful every time I pass by it even without being lit. I'd love to burn it, but it is not currently listed in the catalog I bought it from and I'm afraid I'll never be able to get another one like it. So it is taking me a little longer to apply the "just use it" mantra to this one, but I will do it. Soon.

In this day and age, almost everything can eventually be replaced. If I use that perfect scrapbooking paper on a not so perfect layout, chances are I can find that design - or an even better one - at a scrapbook store or search for it online. If I burn the best smelling candle in the world and it becomes discontinued, I'm sure I can find somebody somewhere who makes a scent that is pretty close to it.

So from now on unless I have a specific occasion in mind for something, the things I buy are fair game for use. On any day, for any reason.

What about you? What are you saving your stuff for?

No comments:

 

Design By:
SkinCorner